Dear SPYA Volunteers;
Recently, the State of Pennsylvania passed new legislation requiring any adult applying for an unpaid position as a volunteer who will have direct contact with children to obtain background checks/clearances. The new requirements are effective July 1, 2015. If you are a South Parkland Youth Association (SPYA) Volunteer in any capacity, you are required to obtain the following clearances every 36-months:
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check (PSP)
- Child Abuse History Clearance from the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (Child Abuse).
- A fingerprint based Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) criminal history- if the volunteer has lived outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the last ten years. Volunteers who are not required to obtain the FBI Clearance because they have been a continuous resident of Pennsylvania for the past ten years must swear or affirm in writing that they are not disqualified from service.
Outlined below, you will find the cost of the clearances:
- Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) Criminal Record Check: $0.00 - Fee waived as of 7/25/2015
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Child Abuse): $0.00- Fee waived as of 7/25/2015
- FBI Criminal Background check through PA Dept. of Human Services: $27.50
If you work/volunteer for a school district, human services organization, etc., and already have the required clearances and they are less than 36-months old, you do not have to complete this process until within 36-months of the date of the most recent clearance. If you previously obtained clearances but they are more than 36-months old, you have until July 1, 2016 to complete the process.
While volunteers will be responsible for completing and paying for the clearances up front, SPYA will reimburse/credit volunteers when they provide proof of the required clearances. This new process will replace all other background check processes previously required by SPYA and its leagues. SPYA will not reimburse for clearances already secured for other jobs or volunteer services and that pre-date this notification of June 1, 2015.
The Child Abuse, PSP and FBI clearances can all be applied for and paid for electronically. The FBI clearance also requires a fingerprint submission. Once all clearances are obtained, you will receive certificates that you MUST provide copies to SPYA for compliance to the requirement as well as for reimbursement/credit. All SPYA Volunteers are asked to begin the clearance process immediately as it could take several weeks to secure all the required clearances.
Please go to the following websites to complete the clearance process:
Information on the new requirements pertaining to Child Abuse Clearances can also be found at www.KeepKidsSafe.PA.gov. We will continue to update you on this new requirement on our website as we move forward, but the most important things to remember are:
- These clearances are required for ALL SPYA volunteers.
- Volunteers need to begin the process NOW for all sports but especially fall sports.
- Volunteers need to provide certificates of clearance, for the time being, to their respective sport Commissioner.
- SPYA, due to the State requirement, will reimburse/credit all volunteers who provide proof that they have secured the required clearances/affidavits.
Pennsylvania Department of Human Services - Volunteer FAQ - Click HERE to view
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact a member of our Executive Board.
Thank you for your continued support to South Parkland Youth Association!